READ THIS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!
You are purchasing a fully customized tune. For “narrowband” cars (generally pre-2011 on Ford vehicles) you must have either a wideband air/fuel monitor installed in your car along with the proper cable to feed the wideband data into your logger OR you may wish to rent two hours of time on a local dyno who can provide you with a safe method of going wide open throttle while giving us real-time air/fuel and boost information.
For “wideband” cars, we will get your Measured Air Fuel information from the OBDII port and read it out on the datalog. Again, these are generally 2011+ for Ford.
For cars with or without knock sensors….we don’t trust them, period. So, you’ll be checking spark plugs before and after each wide open throttle pull. Confer with us about what plugs and gap to use for your wide open throttle pulls before you begin the tuning process. You will need a minimum of 12 new spark plugs for this process. Don’t worry, the plugs we’ll specify are less than $1.50 each.
If you have any questions regarding our processes, please contact us by phone immediately before going any further.
Again, this is a CUSTOM tune and datalogging is absolutely required. If you cannot datalog with us, we respectfully suggest you look into a canned tune from one of the major companies.
Please pay attention to the area in ITALICS below.
THIS IS A BASE FILE AND CANNOT BE USED IN BOOST OR OVER ½ THROTTLE UNTIL THE FIRST SEGMENT OF THE TUNING PROCESS IS FINISHED AND YOU’RE APPROVED FOR WIDE OPEN THROTTLE WORK BY VENOMOUS TUNING. FAILURE TO HEED THIS CAUTION MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE.
Thank you for choosing Venomous Tuning. YOU MUST HAVE A WINDOWS BASED LAPTOP TO USE ANY SCT SOFTWARE FOR LOGGING OR LOADING TUNE FILES. IN ADDITION, YOU MUST HAVE WI-FI AVAILABLE AT THE SITE OF THE VEHICLE IF WE ARE TO ASSIST YOU BY TAKING CONTROL OF YOUR COMPUTER. CELL PHONE HOTSPOT WORKS WELL FOR MANY OF OUR CUSTOMERS. A POOR SIGNAL WILL RESULT IN DELAYS OR THE INABILITY TO ASSIST YOU. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS PROCESS, PLEASE CALL US BEFORE STARTING ANY TUNING. (352) 800-4407.
Whether we are emailing you a custom tune or if it’s coming on a new device, this is the process we use to assure you the best possible calibration for you and your vehicle.
FIRST THINGS FIRST, CREATE A ‘VENOMOUS TUNING’ FOLDER ON YOUR COMPUTER’S DESKTOP.
Here are the steps:
- If attached, please save the datalog config file (ends in .CEF) to the desktop of your computer so we can find it easily. I recommend creating a folder on your desktop for all tune and datalog files.
- Go to this link and download DEVICE UPDATER and LIVE LINK from the support area. Run both programs so they’re on your Windows laptop and convenient for us to use. https://www.sctflash.com/support
- Device Updater is used to update the firmware on your SCT device AND we use that to transfer the tune file I sent you onto the SCT device. We’ll use Live Link for the datalogging.
- IF YOU REQUEST ME TO DATALOG THE CAR FOR YOU, YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT VIA A PHONE CALL AT (352) 800-4407. YOU MUST HAVE A WINDOWS LAPTOP, WIFI (PREFERABLY VIA A HOTSPOT ON YOUR CELLPHONE IN CASE WE NEED TO DRIVE) AND YOUR SCT DEVICE CONNECTED AND READY TO GO AT THE TIME OF THE APPOINTMENT. YOU WILL RECEIVE AN EMAIL FROM ME ABOUT 15 MINUTES PRIOR TO THE APPOINTMENT. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THAT EMAIL. ONCE YOU HAVE “TEAMVIEWER” RUNNING ON YOUR COMPUTER, CALL MY OFFICE AT (352) 800-4407 AND I’LL TAKE IT FROM THERE. ALL OF THESE STEPS MUST BE FOLLOWED SO WE’RE CONNECTED AND READY ON TIME OR WE WILL CANCEL AND RESCHEDULE THE APPOINTMENT.
- Here’s a good video to show you how to load this custom file onto your device using Device Updater. hhttps://youtu.be/HQQyXT1HFMEttps://youtu.be/H If you run into an issue, let me know and I’ll take control of the computer and do it for you along with doing an initial datalog.
- Things to remember- HAVE YOUR CAR ON A CHARGER OR BATTERY TENDER. Key off/on over and over will drop your battery voltage and potentially interrupt our processes. Better safe than sorry. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR DEVICE TO OBDII CABLE, A USB CABLE FOR DEVICE TO LAPTOP AND THAT YOUR LAPTOP BATTERY IS CHARGED. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INTERNET/WIFI AVAILABLE.
Make sure your car is fully charged. Do NOT have anything plugged into any outlet in the vehicle when logging. Not even your cell phone.
Make sure your coolant temp is more than 165 degrees and your downstream (IAT2) on a blower car is below 125.
We’ll do an “IDLE/SLOW REV” DATALOG to confirm and sweeten any fueling points. This is the area that controls driveability so it’s important that we do this first. You’ll datalog it, send it to me via email, I improve it, send it back, you reload onto your device then your car (lather, rinse, repeat).
WIDE OPEN THROTTLE WARNING
Never do more than ONE full throttle pull unless asked to do so by us in writing. In the event that you have an equipment or fueling issue we need to be able to identify it and help you resolve it. Doing multiple full throttle pulls may cause permanent damage.
Second phase is a wide-open throttle exercise. Start logging……..3rd gear, traction control off, wide open from 2,000 rpm to 5,000 rpm and let off. Stop logging, save the log and send it to me. The process repeats. In this phase we’re confirming fueling but more importantly we’re looking for knock sensor activity. If it’s knocking due to too much timing for your fuel to tolerate, we adjust it and send you the revision.
IF YOU HEAR AUDIBLE KNOCK OR SEE AIR/FUEL GO ABOVE 12:1, YOU MUST ABORT THE PULL IMMEDIATELY AND TELL US WHAT OCCURRED.
Third and final phase is a wide-open throttle pull from 2,000-6,500. Same process. WITH ANY WOT PULL, IF YOU BREAK TRACTION OR HEAR ANY AUDIBLE KNOCK, LET OFF THE THROTTLE IMMEDIATELY.
I’ll again make the necessary improvements, assuring you have optimized fuel and spark curves and send you the final file.
Remember, Venomous Tuning provides complimentary updates for future (minor) mods for a full year. We only ask that you run your mod idea past us first. We know what works, what is a waste of time and money and what is truly beneficial to you.
Thank you again for your business and your trust. I look forward to working for you.